Kegged
Finally kegged the African Amber today. Back on Thursday 5/26, it had been sitting in the office and the weather had been extremely warm. The brew appeared to be actively fermenting again, and even filled the tiny air space available in the carboy with foam and began to invade the airlock. I considered kegging then, but it had been less than the two week minimum in secondary fermentation recommended by Palmer, so I was hesitant. Then Thorly suggested moving it downstairs. I had avoided keeping fermenting brew in the utility room because the temperature varies quite a bit -- cool until the furnace comes on, then much warmer than the rest of the house. But with the heat wave, we weren't using the furnace (duh), so it was now consistently the coolest room in the house due to the concrete slab floor. Moved the carboy down there and the activity dropped off again pretty quickly.
Had to pour about a quart of the Clambake ESB into a bottle to free up the keg for the Amber. Cleaned and sanitized it, then immediately transferred the new batch into it. The recipe called for dry hopping with 1/2 ounce of Cascade hops. I added about 2/3 ounce to the sock and dropped it in the keg before the transfer. It floated on top as the keg filled. My first experience with dry hopping. Can't wait to taste this batch!
Final gravity: 1.010
Estimated alcohol by volume: 4.1%


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home